Kind of a crazy question. But the answer is even crazier. The answer is YES. You don’t have to be an amazing singer to have a career as a singer. There is more to a great voice that will get you success on the stage. Not everyone who makes it big and gets paid are superior singers.
Here is a list of qualities that can bring a singer without a great voice success:
1. Write great songs- Can anyone say Bob Dylan on this one?
2. Sing with heart and or soul- It doesn’t take a great instrument to make a deep impression when singing from an honest place. Like a monologue, if you can deliver your lines and hit our nerve you win.
3. Get great singers and musicians around you- whether they be backup singers, or guitar Gods, having amazing solos other than yours or a great gospel momma wail over your chorus, just might do the trick.
4. You’ve won the genetic lottery- Let’s face it, if you look good, and people want to look at you, you’ve got a shot. Look at Tim Urban on American Idol this year.
5. You dance amazing- Brittany Spears, Shakira… Not the best voices, but great dancers and they deliver an exciting performance.
6. You hire the best behind the scenes team around you- publicist, agent, manager- The right people can set you up in this career, surround yourself with as many of them as you can.
7. No how to use what you have- If you only have a great five note range, then write yourself some great songs that sit in those five notes.
8. Know your limitations and don’t show them to us- Don’t go for the big notes if you don’t have them, or try and sustain a line that you can’t- don’t show us your weakness, and we won’t know that you have them.
9. You have a great personality or are doused in Charisma- If people just can’t take their eyes off of you because you are so magnetic or they want to like you because you are so kind, or funny, -lucky you!
10. You are born into connections- If you are, please use them and enjoy them. If you can hand your demo over to the president of a record company, or to the execs on a TV show take your success. Just remember to use it for good things.
With that all being said. Work hard on your voice- Voice Lessons To GO is a great start. Remember, you are only born with what you are given in your larynx, but anyone can improve their singing.
And if you are lucky enough to be born with a golden voice, the more traits you have or can attain from the list above, the stronger you will be in the fight to success! (and it is a fight people
Want a professional opinion of how you sound? Sign up for myVocal Assessment. Then send me a link or mp3 of you singing (audio/or audio visual) with your questions and I will get back to you with my feedback right away.
Friend me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/voicelessonstogo
Follow me on twitter:http://www.twitter.com/singingvltg